The heat really hasn't let up since yesterday, but as I mentioned in that blog, I really need to start getting myself back in shape and trail miles are my regiment of choice. I decided to join the Atlanta Outdoor Club for a short hike at another of the Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area's units. Today, it will be the Johnson Ferry North park. Pulling into the gravel parking area, I ask a lady I see waiting around if she's here for the hike and she confirms that she is. I take a quick moment to use the nearby restroom and when I return a few others have arrived. While we wait for the final hikers, we note a large number of younger trail runners making their way off the trail and through the parking area at great paces. I'm guessing there is some kind of high-school practice today based on their approximate ages.
Once everyone has arrived, we do a very quick round of introductions and then begin making our way through the trails of this unit. It's a pretty basic trail and I've hiked here a couple of times in the past. The first section is slightly overgrown, but from what some of the ladies say, it's much better today than it was last week. I guess the park service has done some work on it. After grassy section, we head into the woods and alongside the river. There are a couple of minor creek crossings, but each has well-placed stepping stones and everyone is able to cross each section without getting wet. This is a pretty area. I've always enjoyed the natural rocks of this area, which provide some interesting terrain for the feeder creeks to flow over.
Hitting the northern end of the park, we make our way around Hyde Park and then head back the way we came. The conversations are great and this seems to be a very nice group of people. Before long, we're back at the cars. I'm a sweaty mess, but I was able to get about 4.6 miles in on this trail, which will have to suffice for the day. Originally, I had planned on hitting a second trail today, but we have friends in town that are planning to stop by this afternoon and I should be there to greet them . . . after having showered. So, this will have to do for now.
No comments:
Post a Comment