Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Cahokia Mounds (St. Clair County, Illinois)


Though I have visited this ancient city a few times when I was younger, I thought Cass might enjoy seeing this Native American metropolis near my home town. The interpretive center has undergone substantial upgrades since my last visit. We casually strolled through the museum-like center learning about the ancient Mississippian Culture that built this city of earthen mounds over one thousand years ago.

Leaving the center, we step out into the great plaza of downtown Ancient Cahokia. Signs of the areas former prominence are everywhere, with mounds of varying sizes rising from the prairie in all directions. Dominating them all though, the mighty Monk’s Mound oversees the entire area. At over 100 feet tall and covering several acres, this impressive mound is the largest of its kind in the Americas.


While the visit was short, it was well worth the short drive. I think Cass really enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment