Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Eagle Watching along the Great River Road (Madison County, Illinois)


Stop number two while at home was more of a search than a stop. As my hometown, Alton, IL, sits alongside the Mississippi River, it is known as a wintering spot for the majestic bald eagle. Though, the appear in great numbers from December to March, I thought I would take my luck and try to find some in late November, while we were in the area. It wasn't difficult.

Heading north up the Great River Road, I spotted a couple of specimens in a tree at the foot of Clifton Terrace. They are such large birds. I have seen them up close at some preserves and in an upright perch much like that seen in the photo, they are often over two feet tall. 


They gaze out over the river looking for any sign of a fish leaping from the water, which when exposed and snatched from the flowing river will make a fine meal for the great raptor.

All in all, I spotted five birds today in only about 30 minutes, including one fighting against the howling winds in Grafton. Such magnificent animals, it's not wonder they have been adopted as a symbol of our great nation.

No comments:

Post a Comment