Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Hunter Creek Falls at Dusk (Washoe County, Nevada)


With a couple of bigger hikes coming up in the near future, I've been trying to get my self in shape and what better way than to do a quick hike up to Hunter Creek Falls after work. While it's an easy trail and I've done (and even blogged) about it in the past, it's just about perfect to start and finish before it gets too dark.


Changing out of my work clothes and throwing some proper hiker-wear on, I arrived at the trail head around 5:30. The trail is well traveled, but tonight seemingly not all that popular. That said I do encounter a couple of groups making their way back to the trail head.


Below the trail, the creek tears a path through the vegetation. Obviously, the recent rain Reno has received has bolstered the local water supply. The rushing stream makes for a nice companion on the way up to the falls. The bounty of the recent rains can also be seen in the huge number and variety of wildflowers all along the trail.


Reaching the falls, I stop for a bit to grab a quick snack and relax before turning around and heading back. As dusk approaches, I reach the trail head to be greeted by a nice view of the lights of Downtown Reno. Only about 6.5 miles in total, but well worth it on a weeknight.

No comments:

Post a Comment