Friday, October 23, 2015

Maggie's Peaks (El Dorado County, California)


While in the area of Emerald Bay, I thought I would take the opportunity to get a few miles in. Though the season is getting a little late, the snows have yet to take hold of the peaks around Lake Tahoe and so, a hiking I shall go.

Maggie's Peak rises above Emerald Bay and Cascade Lake, offering spectacular of views of both, as well as into Desolation Wilderness. The trail starts at the Bayview Campground and traverses the southeastern slope of the mountain. The going is a little steep at first, as it bobs and weaves around a number of the large granite boulders that define the landscape of the Sierra Nevada. 


Following a tiny sliver of a creek into the forest, the trail eventually reaches Granite Lake, a small alpine lake sunken in a small valley above and between Emerald Bay and Cascade Lake. I take a few minutes to wander out onto some rocks and logs to take in the whole experience of the lake. I love these little secluded spectacles; so peaceful, so tranquil.


Hitting the trail again, I make my way towards the saddle between Maggie's Peaks. The trail is even steeper here, but it feels good to stretch my legs a bit. Switchbacks make the grade a bit more manageable, but it's still slow going. I finally reach the saddle and have to decide where to go first. The northern peak of the two is more interesting to me, as it should afford me great views of Emerald Bay and Fanette Island Below.

There is no trail, but that won't deter me. I start bouldering over the large slabs of granite that are between me and the peak, about a third of a mile ahead. The way is treacherous and the going is slow, but I keep trying to see my next steps. Eventually though, I loose site of any safe path to the peak and decide to turn back. I make my way back the way I came, climbing and pulling myself of the granite.


Reaching the saddle again, I decide to attempt to climb up the southern of the two peaks. The trail wraps around the peak and eventually, I go off-trail and head straight up the slope towards the summit. The going is steep, but less littered with boulders. Finally reaching the top, I am forced to do a little more boulder, but it's not nearly as dangerous as the path to the other peak. I take a few minutes to take in the majestic vista from the top. To the south, I can see the sun beams shimmering off of Azure Lake. 


The view of Lake Tahoe and the city of South Lake Tahoe, CA is spectacular from up here. It's also obvious that Lake Tahoe is low, as the sandy beaches extend much further than normal. After a little stay, I begin making my way back down the mountain. As expected the way down is much faster than the way up, though my knee does start bothering me slightly. Luckily, the trail is short. In total, I put in about 5.3 miles on this trail, including all of the bouldering and bushwhacking, but the views make it well worth the effort.


No comments:

Post a Comment