Saturday, July 30, 2016

Hidden Valley (Lava Beds National Monument, California)


Another quick hike recommended to me by Emily, my tour guide for Fern Cave, was Hidden Valley, which just happens to be directly across the gravel road from Big Nasty Trail, and as such, I felt obligated to check it out. Even though, I was already hot and sweaty from the hot sun and exposure of the previous trail, this one seemed to have a lot of shade.


The trail starts ominously as it leads back into the trees, but quickly reveals the subject of the name. A large depression, perhaps a large collapsed lava tube, opens up and reveals an elongated valley, densely populated with pine and other greenery. While there probably are ways to climb down into the valley, I don't look too terribly hard and simply follow the prescribed trail alongside the small valley. 

It only leads about a quarter of a mile before sputtering out among the forest and lava remnants, but offers some very nice views of the little valley below. With that though, I must be on my way, the sun is beginning to set in the west and I have miles to go before I rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment