Monday, February 5, 2018

Chumash Painted Cave (Santa Barbara County, California)


High above the fog-covered coastal flats where the city of Santa Barbara meets the sea, ancient Native Americans, the Chumash people, found a sandstone cave and created beautiful works of art on it's walls. These pictographs have survived for hundreds of years and seemed worth a visit as I passed through the area.

The narrow winding road passes numerous driveways as it makes it's way up the mountain. These must be incredibly expensive homes, but they must enjoy a magnificent view of the ocean from here. The road is one lane and so I must find a wide spot to pull off. I set the jeep's hazard lights before walking up some fashioned steps to the focus of this state historic park, the Chumash Painted Cave.

A large grate protects the artwork from would-be vandals, but also makes it difficult to get a good shot of the pictographs within. I angle the camera, set the flash, and hope for the best. I take a few more pictures for good measure before returning to the jeep and getting back on the road for my long journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment