Sunday, November 3, 2019

Georgia State Botanical Gardens - White Trail (Athens-Clarke County, Georgia)


Continuing my adventures in my new home, I decided to multi-task a bit. I headed over to Athens, GA, a few miles east of my new home in order to visit one of the favorite local breweries, Creature Comforts. While in the area and waiting for the brewery to open, I wanted to get a few trail miles in and opted to visit the Georgia State Botanical Gardens. After grabbing a trail map from the visitors center, I decided to hike the White Trail, which was the longest one available.

The trail supposedly departs the visitors center and pass through a kids play area before entering the woods. Unfortunately, it is very poorly marked and I spent a few minutes trying to find my way. Eventually, I found a well worn path through the woods and started the hike. The weather is just about perfect and I enjoy the wooded area, which reminds me a lot of the areas I grew up in near St. Louis and my families summer visits to see my grandparents in rural western Kentucky.


The trail follows the shoreline of the Middle Oconee River for a long while. It's pretty, but I can't help by compare to my adventures out west. I'm sure there are much prettier areas that I will visit in the near future and so, I'll just take solace in getting some trail miles in today. 

A few twists and turns, some small hills, and a couple of foot-bridge crossings over small streams finds me back at the jeep. I managed to get in just shy of 4 miles today. Now its time to enjoy some tasty brews.

No comments:

Post a Comment