Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Tribble Mill Trail (Gwinnet County, Georgia)


There is an well known expression, reportedly of Chinese origin that says "may you live in interesting times". Well, we certainly do. The world is pretty much on lock down in fear of the rapid spread of the COVID-19 pandemic. Events are cancelled, stores and restaurants are closed, employees work from (when possible), and gatherings of 10 are more people are not recommended, if not outright banned - all in an attempt to slow the spread of this contagious virus. As I work from home anyway, it's not really causing a lot of hardships and I figure I can take advantage to get in a few more trail miles on days when the weather cooperates such as today. 

Only about ten or so miles from my home, a county park offers an interesting loop around a man-made lake with a few remnants of a long forgotten mill lost to time. I arrive at Tribble Mill Park just after 8:00 AM. The paved trail is only a few yards from where I park the jeep and I quickly make my way over to it. Given that this is a mostly paved trail through an urban park, I decide to take in a podcast while I get my miles in.


With spring just around the corner, it's warm this morning, but a heavy fog sits over the lake and obscures much of the view. The trail is easy enough and winds its way around the lake. I encounter a few other activity seekers. It's difficult to be trapped in one's home and these folks have gotten out, like I have, to get a little fresh air and exercise. 

Before too long, I come to a side trail, which I know leads to something of a waterfall. I head that way as it winds down a hillside and finally leaves the pavement at the start of a natural granite surface that covers a pretty vast area here. A shallow creek makes its way over the rock. It's really more of a water slide than a water fall, as the creek probably looses 10-12 feet of elevation of a run of 100-150 feet of distance. It's interesting that the running water hasn't carved more of a permanent path through the stone though. Here the water just creates a sheet over the surface with the occasional whitecap where a rock or small drop-off may impeded it's journey. It is a nice thing to find though, so close to the city.


Heading back towards the main trail, the remains of a stone structure catches my eye in the nearby woods. I take a few steps towards it only to place my foot on one of the most slippery surfaces I have ever encountered. The moss and algae growing on the granite have created an ice-like sheen and I do a performance reminiscent of the Three Stooges while trying to regain my balance and footing. Luckily, I do and save myself from falling into the wet, muddy, mossy mess. I hunker down to get a few shots of the structure and the remains of some type of wheel nearby. I suspect this maybe part of the old mill. It seems these are pretty common finds in the wooded areas of Georgia.

After returning to the main trail, I continue my way around the rest of the lake uneventfully. I try to push my pace to ensure a good workout. With the humidity, I'm a sweaty mess by the time I return to the jeep, but it was nice to get in just over 4.2 miles on a workday.

No comments:

Post a Comment