Friday, July 3, 2020

Brasstown Bald (Towns County, Georgia)

 

Three-day weekends are the best (except for weekends that are more than three days), and I'm hopeful of getting this one started right with a hike up to the highest point in the state of Georgia. Near the state's northern border, Brasstown Bald rises 4'784 out of the southern end of the Appalachian Mountain Range. There are a number of trails that lead to the summit and my plan was to about seven miles from the Jack's Gap Trailhead to the summit of the mountain. 

As I drove through Helen, GA and got closer to my destination, the skies started turning gray and rain seemed to be in my future. I had looked at the forecast before leaving home, but this time of year, rain clouds seem to appear without warning. I decide to abandon my original plan and simply hike up the final half-mile from the forest service trail head. 

On my way up, I do indeed encounter several light showers. Nothing terrible though. Arriving at the top, a large construction offers viewing decks and even a theater (which I don't bother investigating). It kind of irritates me that the general public feels the need to scar these amazing places with the touch of civilization. I wander around the observation deck gazing at the stormy horizon in all directions. It is a magnificent view from up here, but it's spoiled by our "improvements". After a few minutes, I hike back down the way I came and return to the jeep, totally about 1.4 miles. While I can knock this high-point off of my list, I think I would like to return and summit using one of the other trails at some point.

No comments:

Post a Comment