Saturday, September 19, 2020

Amicolola Falls (Dawson County, Georgia)

At 729 feet, Amicolola Falls is the tallest waterfall in the state of Georgia and has been on my "to visit" list almost since moving here nearly a year ago. That said, I learned early on during my time in Georgia, of the famous Len Foote Hike Inn and made a reservation several months ago. Since the state park dedicated to the falls is the trail head for the Inn, it made sense to combine the trips. And now on this last day of summer, here I am.

From the parking lot used by guests of the Inn, the walk to the waterfall is all paved and on a wooden bridge and staircase. From here, you can walk across the water as it prepares to take it's mighty spill over the precipice of the falls and tumbles into the valley below. Unsatisfied with this view, I decide to climb down the 425 steps to a better vantage point. Knowing that I'm going to be hiking about 12-miles immediately after leaving the falls, I'm not sure that was such a good idea, but you only live once. 

From the bottom of the staircase, the view is much, much better. I can look directly up the towering waterfall in all its glory. The water is roaring today, but this must be an absolute monster in the spring when the rains come frequently. After spending a few short minutes admiring this natural wonder, I climb back up the stairs to the trail head and prepare for my next adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment