Sunday, April 18, 2021

Powers Island (Fulton County, Georgia)


For my next stop this morning, I decided to visit one of the few remaining units of the Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area that I haven't yet been to, Powers Island. The trails here are somewhat limited, but might as well check it out and knock it off the list.

The parking lot is about half full when I arrive and there are a number of trail runners passing to and fro. After leaving the jeep, I first wander across a small bridge and out onto Powers Island itself, which is nothing more than a strip of land separated from the shore by a offshoot flow of the river. The island has a nice kayak launching spot, which I note and may take advantage of in the new future. I walk the length of the island before heading back. The trail is slightly overgrown in areas, but it's pretty nice overall.

After returning to the parking lot, I next head north on the trail along the river. This part of the trail seems to be more traveled, but it's still very nice. I encounter a few runners and other hikers exploring this short path. After reaching a junction, I continue north and find a small bamboo forest right at the river level. While these stalks are not quite as large and old as the ones at East Palisades a couple of miles south of my current location, it's still a nice find.

Heading back to the junction, I start a steep uphill section - very steep, which diverts from the river and wanders around a small valley. It's a quick climb and it does get me breathing hard, but after only a short distance I'm at the top and then making my way back down to the river level.

From there, it's a straight shot back to the jeep. While there is nothing overly fantastic about the trails here at Powers Island, they are less used than those of some of the other units and I managed to get in an additional 2.5 miles. Now to join the Meetup group and get in a few more.

No comments:

Post a Comment