Sunday, May 16, 2021

Babel Tower Trail - Linville Gorge (Burke County, North Carolina)

 

For my next hike while visiting the Asheville, NC area, I'm hitting the Babel Tower Trail, which partially descends into and overlooks Linville Gorge. The road to the trailhead is quite bumpy and washed out in many sections, making me glad I drove my jeep, which munches through terrain like this for breakfast. After driving about three miles on this forest service road, I arrive at the well-marked trailhead. Given the the ruggedness of the road to get here, I'm not surprised to see only one other vehicle in the small parking lot. 

After getting out, grabbing my day pack and making other preparations, I quickly hit the trail, which immediately begins descending into the deep river-cut gorge. The trail is incredibly rock and though not as treacherous, reminds me of the Fiery Gizzard, which I over-nighted last weekend. Other than being straight down and rocky, the trail is pretty unremarkable, though there are a couple of fallen trees to get around, which make it a bit more interesting. 

Finally, reaching what appears to be a saddle in the rock outcropping, I do a small bit of scrambling only to find a tent erected on a large flat boulder. I really want to get a picture of the gorge below and announce my presence so that I don't startle anyone, but with no response, I have to assume the camper is off adventuring somewhere else nearby. I take my pictures and move out further onto the outcropping. Before me now, rises the Babel Tower. It's nothing more than a giant pile of eroded boulders rising high (a few hundred feet, it appears) above the gorge and river below. I know the outcropping extends out a bit further, but as I'm not anxious to fall into this deep canyon and with the scrambling appear to be extremely treacherous, I decide to settle for the shots I can get here before heading back up the side of the gorge.

It's a steep climb back out and I find myself sweating profusely in this incredibly humid environment, but I eventually make it back to my jeep. I've only hiked 2.4 miles along this trail, but the unrelenting uphill of the return made it feel like much more. With storm clouds now circling above my head, I'm may have to call it for the day and start the long drive home, but we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment