Sunday, March 13, 2022

Haw Creek (Forsyth County, Georgia)


I'm always looking for new trails to hike and one of my ways of doing this is to monitor the events of some of the local hiking clubs. When I saw the Atlanta Outdoor Club post a short hike for Haw Creek, I was curious, since I had never heard of this area, which is only a few miles from my home. Since the timing worked out, I decided to join the club for this early morning hike.


I arrived pretty early on this unusually cold morning. The mercury is sitting around 27° as I sit in my car awaiting the other members brave enough to get out today. They arrive shortly and after a quick round of introductions, we hit the trail. The trail is pretty basic and just does a long loop around this nice little park. The creek is not much to see, but does break the monotony of the woods a bit. I mention to someone that this would be a great place for trail running, as the path is mostly free of roots and rocks and relatively flat. I may have to consider doing that sometime.

We keep a good pace and enjoy each other's company as we make our way around the loop, finally returning to the parking lot where we started. It has warmed up a bit, but it's still pretty cold. I say my good byes and check my GPS. It seems we hiked right at 3.1 miles, which is pretty short, but I've got intentions to do a second hike today, as well. Overall, the trail is nothing special, but certainly a nice new option for me to revisit in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment