Sunday, October 2, 2022

Conyer's Horse Park (Rockdale County, Georgia)


 Originally, I had planned to be in Asheville, NC this weekend to run a half-marathon and do some kayaking on the French Broad River, but Hurricane Ian had other ideas. The events were cancelled due to expected flooding from the rains of the weakening hurricane. That said, I'll settle for getting some miles in with friends closer to home. I decided to join my friends for a hike through the Georgia International Horse Park (also known as Conyer's Horse Park). This facility was built for the 1996 Olympics' equestrian events and has been maintained as an event complex for the related sports. That said the trails are also open to hikers.

I met up with my group right at noon. I generally like to be early, but some unexpected road construction delayed me a little bit. After our traditional round of introductions, we headed off into the woods. The trail was pretty standard for this part of the country in this time of the year. Dirt trails circling back on themselves through a yellow woods preparing for the winter slumber. It was great to catch up with my friends, but the hike itself was pretty uneventful. We put in almost exactly 8 miles in total along the meandering paths of this trail system.

No comments:

Post a Comment