Sunday, June 11, 2023

Asheville Urban Kayak Tour on the French Broad River (Buncumbe County, North Carolina)

 

After hitting a couple of my favorite breweries in Asheville, NC yesterday and with another couple of stops planned this afternoon, I thought joining REI for a easy paddle down the French Broad River into the River Arts District of Asheville would be a great way to start of my Sunday morning. I've paddled this stretch before, but I really enjoyed it and was kind of craving some outdoor activity.

I met up with the guides and my fellow participants a few minutes before the scheduled start time in a well-maintained parking lot near the area where we will take the boats out of the water after the paddle. From here, we loaded into a shuttle and were ferried to our put-in. The guides allowed us to get the provided sit-in kayaks set up (foot peg adjustments, gear storage, etc.) and then gave a quick safety talk and trip overview. They are always very thorough. 

With about an hour expired between transport and set-up, we finally launched our boats into the muddy and today, especially shallow, French Broad River near Bent Creek. The two guides and six participants waited around until everyone was safely on the water and then started a gentle paddle with the current towards downtown Asheville. 

Being on the water is always soothing to me, even in this semi-urban setting. We see a few birds along the way, an osprey overhead and some geese near the shore, as we continue down the river. There are a number of shallow rocks along the way and as I paddle, I'm watching carefully for the tale-tell v-shaped ripples in my path to help me avoid the large rocks just below the surface. I seem to do a pretty good job of dodging them. 

A couple of miles in or so and the rains begin. We were hopeful that we might complete the trip before the incoming storms reached us, but luck was not on our side and we would paddle the rest of the way in varying levels of rain showers. I mean we're on the river anyway and so, a little water isn't going to hurt us.

At point, we pass by the grounds of the Biltmore House and can see the famous mansion in the distance and through the rain droplets. I've visited the house before and it's gigantic. From the river, it somehow even appears larger.

Half-way to our take-out, one of the participants ends up slamming sideways into a large boulder sticking out of the water. Her boat is pinned against it by the currents and the guides have to assist her getting unstuck. She has climbed onto the rock while her kayak has partially filled with water. I head back to see if I can assist in any way, but the guides have it well under control and are able to lift her boat onto theirs to empty the river water from it and set it right once again. Then they help the woman re-enter her vessel. It certainly makes for some excitement, but luckily no one is injured. 

As we pass under the last bridge before we are to take our boats out of the water, I see a large log just under the surface near one of the bridge supports. I point my boat to the right of it and paddle hard trying to avoid it, but the tree seems to nearly span the distance between the supports and I end up getting stuck on it. After some "booty scooting" and using my paddle to push myself off, I'm finally able to get unstuck and continue down the river. 

As we take turns paddling into the exit chute, we depart our boats, shake off the excess water we've collected from the rains, and say our goodbyes. It was a fantastic little paddle of about 10.4 miles, but now I have to get some food in my and a nearby taco joint is calling me name.

No comments:

Post a Comment