Saturday, March 2, 2024

Devils Millhopper (Alachua County, Florida)

 

When I was planning my Everglades trip, I looked for interesting sites to visit on my way home. Devil's Millhopper was one such sight. I really didn't know what to expect of a state geological park, but I was pleasantly surprised. When I arrived at the parking area, there as a group yoga event going on. I tried my best not to disrupt them and headed for the trails, as I only have a few minutes to explore here.

I quickly found the trail leading into the giant sinkhole, which was formed from dissolved limestone. The steps lead some one hundred feet down toward the bottom of the spectacle. There are a number of springs the flow down into these depths and seep further into the ground. As I understand it, they feed an underground aquifer. Ferns and fallen trees line the steep sides of the sinkhole. It's a really interesting feature and somewhat unique in my experience. With my time spent though, I must return to my car and head to my next destination.

No comments:

Post a Comment