Sunday, July 27, 2003

Point Defiance Loop (Nevada County, California)

The trail to reach Point Defiance demonstrates well the difference between uphill on good terrain and uphill on bad terrain. As I made my way up a very well cut, but narrow and quite zigzagged path through yellow grass and burs, I was joined by a pair of wild turkeys. They were apparently headed in the same general direction as me, but kept a safe distance anyway.

After about a mile-and-a-half of this serene countryside trail, I reached the summit of Point Defiance. The elevation gained on the way up was amazing in both its magnitude and ease. The summit is crowned by an arrangement of stones with a picnic table in the center. All of which, is tucked away under some small shade trees.

A bit further and I had to cross a small wooden bridge over a dry ditch. Beyond that, the narrow trail merges with a dirt road, which becomes washed out and impassable by vehicle even further ahead. The dirt road curls around the backside of Defiance Point. Far below, the blue-green waters of the serene Yuba River flow by.

Ahead of me, two deer-like animals dart off into the thick brush. I say deer-like because they hopped away instead of running. Perhaps they were antelope. Unfortunately, there is no way to tell, as they are long gone.

Once again, then narrow trail separates from the dirt road and begins to curl around the starting point, but uphill again. This path is covered by stones, which must be traversed carefully. Between the trail and the river, which has once again entered view is quite possibly the largest patch of poison ivy that I have ever seen. I am careful to not step on or break any stems. Hopefully, this attention to my step placement will prevent me from having a reaction to the plant.

Further ahead, a steep dirt path leads down to the gravel-laden riverbank. This river was once a serious destination for gold-panners. Still today, hobbyists try their luck, but it is obvious; this is a perfect choice. The water is shallow here and the bottom is covered with tiny gravel bits.

There are many footprints in the sand here, but none so distinct as the mountain lions; a serious reminder to be cautious. I lean down to wash my face and find myself suddenly refreshed by the cool, clean mountain-water runoff. Wow, I needed that!

I make a thwarted attempt to circle on around via the riverbank.  After walking about three hundred yards in the sand and gravel, I am met with a stack of stones and boulders. It appears to be climbable, so I make my attempt. To my surprise, I reach an upper boulder about forty feet above the river and find that there is nowhere to go. I decide to turn back and rejoin the trail.

The sun has set and as darkness approaches, I double-time it back to the trail. I am concerned that I may have taken a wrong turn and may need to return the way that I came, which is quite a ways back. I decide to gamble on my sense of direction. Luckily, I am correct. The trail now begins to circle back to the starting point.

Over the river below, a long, wooden covered bridge provides shade to some swimmers. Rumor has it that this is the longest spanning covered bridge still in existence. Off in the distance, I see my truck in the parking lot and just in the nick of time as it is nearly dark now. Time to head home.

No comments:

Post a Comment