Sunday, August 2, 2015

Boiling Springs Lake (Lassen Volcanic National Park, California)


My second and final stop for the day will be Boiling Springs Lake back inside Lassen Volcanic National Park. I first heard of this lake from a documentary film about the Pacific Crest Trail. When I researched it and learned that I had hiked very near the lake a few years ago, I was disappointed that I had not visited it. Since that time, I have intended on a couple of occasions to revisit the area, but until today, had not been able to follow through with those plans. 

Arriving at the PCT trail head near the Drakesbed Ranch, I start the short mile or so trail to the lake. The trail follows the nearby Hot Springs Creek, and seems to have received some nice upgrades since my last visit to the area about five years ago. The boardwalks over the marshes have been rebuilt and a new bridge offers an easy passage over the creek to the south side. As I make my way up hill towards the lake, I'm anxious to see the deadly natural wonder. 

As I see the trees clear, I realize I have arrived. The lake itself looks like something Sauron from Tolkien lore would emerge from to spout evil upon the Earth. It's mint green waters emit a constant steam as they simmer at about 125 degrees. Ample signage warns visitors to stay on the trail and avoid getting near the water, as many people have sustained serious injuries when the brittle ground gave way beneath their feet and exposed them to the hot waters and steam vents below. The lake itself is a bit smaller than I had expected and on the far side, I can see steam vents on the shore. I spend a few minutes looking around before heading back to the parking lot and making my way home. This a very cool site, but echoing the signage, be very careful if you visit - death is only a misstep away.

No comments:

Post a Comment