Saturday, October 15, 2016

Transept Trail to Bright Angel Point (Grand Canyon National Park, Arizona)


While planning my current trip, I noticed that I would be extremely close to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, which I had not visited before. With few hotel options available in the immediate area, I decided to reserve a campsite in the park campground for the night. And this being the "grandest canyon in all the world", I had to get in a little bit of a hike. 


Arriving at the my campsite around 3 pm, I quickly devoured a quick meal and set up my tent. This time of year, daylight is in limited supply and if I want to hike, I need to get moving. By about 4 pm, I'm trekking alongside the Transept Canyon, a large side-canyon connecting to the Grand Canyon. The drop off below me is quite high and I find myself being especially cautious for some reason - perhaps the howling winds below.


The trail sneaks through the forest, which is in stark contrast to the red hues of the canyon below. Green pines and the golden autumn leaves of the tall quaking aspen make for a beautiful site this time of year. All along the way, there are views of the wide expanse of the canyon and I am reminded of my first trip to the park several years ago. On that trip, we overnight down the challenging 'New Hance Trail' from the South Rim to the river and back. This trip will be much quick and not nearly as difficult, but the views are similar and just as spectacular.

Walking past a signed area, my eyes and imagination are captured by what remains of an ancient Native American dwelling. Only a simple foundation remains, but what a place to have lived. Waking every morning to look out over this beauty must have been like heaven on Earth.


The trail continues on around and underneath the North Rim Lodge, where a number of site-seers are walking out onto railed outcroppings to view the main part of the Grand Canyon below. As I join them on these rocky 'catwalks', I'm amazed at how strong these winds are rising from the canyon. I actually have to hold on to the rail at couple of points, as these winds have to be reaching gusts of 80 mph and upwards.

Arriving at my destination, Bright Angel Point, I am greeted with another amazing view of the Grand Canyon. For anyone that has stood atop either rim and looked out over the vastness of the colorful canyon below, I think you will agree that pictures cannot do Grand Canyon justice. There just isn't a way to capture such a place in two dimensions. 


After taking in the view and doing my best not to be blown off the edge, I make my way back to my campsite. I covered about 3.3 miles on this short trail, but any distance is enough when walking alongside this natural wonder. As for those winds, they would continue on through the night. I awoke about 1:30 am and heard what sounds like a gushing river right beside me. Unlike normal wind gusts, these winds did not relent. It was just a constant humming, which made packing my tent the next morning quite interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment