Saturday, April 15, 2017

Matrimony Tree (Placer County, California)


This winter has seen the some of the heaviest snowfalls in the Northern Sierra Nevada Mountains on record. Unfortunately, I've only been out snowshoeing in it once so far. Time to fix that. Getting an early start, my friend, Brent, and I head over Donner Pass and look for a place to park at the north end of Troy Road, which does not get plowed in the winter. Our destination is Matrimony Tree, which sites alone an isolated ridge overlooking the valley separating it from Devils Peak.

The first part of the trip is relatively easy, as snow-mobiles have compacted some of the snow. And there is so, so much snow here. I note a couple of stop signs that have shield themselves from being completely buried in the white flood. Perhaps, if they had said "Please Stop" they would have done better with the snow.


Heading up the steep road, we pause to admire a small water fall carving it's way through the deep snow pack. As we have had a number of days already that reached above freezing, the run-off has began and given the amount of snow, we are likely in for more flooding in the valleys below. Still, it's peaceful to see this natural cycle in such dramatic fashion.


As we cross a railroad track, Brent mentions that he's getting pretty tired and suggests that he might head back. The snow-mobile tracks stop here and we're likely to be following cross-country ski tracks as we go into the forest further. I hate splitting up, but I know it's only going to get steeper as we push on. We agree that he will slowly make his way back to the jeep and I'll push on to the destination as quickly as possible. I want a good workout from this trip anyway.

Eventually, I reach a point where where I am on virgin snow. No one has been here lately, no signs of tracks of any kind, including animal tracks. I kind of like it that way. I sometimes wish I had been able to see the great western US prior to settlement, and while not exactly the same, seeing untouched snow fields like this is a close approximation.


The snow is deep and the hills are extremely steep. A couple of times, I have to cut around a tall bump, because I simply can't get enough forward moment to overcome the snow packing down. In the distance, I can see Devils Peak rising steeply out of the snow fields. It looks like a very steep climb to summit that one. Perhaps, I'll try that another day . . . in the summer or fall, when the snow has long melted.

I eventually reach the highest point and my destination. Matrimony Tree stands alone on the ridge. Legend tells that a young couple actually took their vows under the shade of this windswept centurion at some point long ago, thus the name. It's a pretty site for something so important, but as Brent is likely waiting for me, I simply take a few pictures and head back to the jeep. In total, I covered about 4.7 miles, which doesn't sound like a lot, but with all of the steep uphill and trail-breaking, it was a very good workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment