Sunday, August 13, 2017

Reno 10-Miler (Washoe County, Nevada)


The Race178 organization is responsible for a number of races in and around the Reno/Tahoe region, including the Reno-Tahoe Odyssey. Having run a number of their events over the past couple of years, I know what a terrific job they do of putting them together. This morning the Reno 10-miler will take a couple thousand of us through downtown, in and around the UNR campus, and finally along the Truckee River before reaching the finish line.

Unfortunately, I got a bit of a late start at the gun. The limited number of portable restrooms created a long waiting line and I arrived at the starting line a minute or two after the main crowd had taken off. I was not the only one though. Apparently, several of us were slightly tardy. The Reno PD does an outstanding job of blocking off traffic and ensuring the runner's safety along the long weaving course.

As we leave the start alongside Wingfield Park, the route heads north on Virginia Street through the heart of downtown before taking a right turn followed by a quick left and into the UNR campus. I'm feeling good this morning, but as I have not been training very much since the RTO in June, I decide to take it easy on the uphill sections. We make a trip around the quad before heading into the stadium for a single lap around the track. After another trip through the quad, we return to downtown and head west.

The trail crosses over Interstate 80 and then through the residential areas on our way to Idlewild Park. From here the course follows a familiar route that many of the local races use, which takes us along the Truckee River and back to the finish line near Wingfield Park.


As I approach the finish line, I call on my reserves and finish strong. As a volunteer places a finisher's medal around my neck, I hear a group of people calling my name. Several of my teammates from my RTO team had finished just ahead of me and ask me to join them for a picture. How can I resist such a good looking group of ladies.

After the picture, I grab some water and head over to my buddy Bret's tent to help him pour some delicious brews for our fellow finisher's.


No comments:

Post a Comment