Monday, October 9, 2017

Crystal Peak Mine (Sierra County, California)


For years, I've been hearing about Crystal Peak Mine just across the California border northeast of Reno. Some months ago, I took the jeep up to another Crystal Peak that overlooks Frenchmans Lake and whenever that one comes up in conversation, I have to clarify the different peaks, which are only about 30 miles apart as the crow flies. As today is a holiday, I decided to finally check this one off of my list.

Driving out I80-W, I took a right at the bottom of the East Verdi exit and followed until I reached Bridge Street and took another right. Following this to Dog Valley Road and following that until it turns into a Forest Service road and heads into the back country. The drive is only a few miles and the road is not overly treacherous, but would be a bit bumpy for a low-clearance car.

Eventually reaching the "parking lot", which is nothing more than a clearing in the forest that has a layer of small loose crystal over it, I can see why the peak got its name. Much larger than than it's similarly named neighbor to the north, people have been visiting and taking crystal from this area for several decades. A sign indicates a 5-gallon daily limit imposed by the forest service, but it would still many more decades (if not centuries) to carry this mountain away.

The entire summit of this peak sparkles is the unmistakable white quartz crystal that is so prevalent in the Sierra Nevada. As quartz is often found near gold deposits, it wouldn't surprise me if prospectors had once thought to get rich from this mountain.


I decide to walk around the summit a bit. In the distance, I can see the clear area that is Dog Valley. Then circling around to the southeastern face, I note some trees who's root systems have been exposed by the crumbing crystal. One has even partially toppled over. It's strange to think they could find nutrients in this white crystal soil, but 'life finds a way' as they say. It's early and with the sun low in the sky, the cold breeze is slightly chilling. However, the advantage of coming early is solitude. As I prepare to leave, I only see on other person and wave as I return to the jeep.

No comments:

Post a Comment