Monday, January 15, 2018

Beale Falls (Nevada County, California)


I'm constantly scouring the internet looking for new and interesting areas to explore. Recently, I read of a short hike to a beautiful waterfall near Auburn, CA. Beale falls is known by a number of names, including Fairy Falls and Shingle Falls. Regardless, of what name it is known by, the falls seemed like an excellent destination on a mid-January afternoon.

Getting a bit of a late start, I left Reno shortly after 9:00 AM and headed west. The directions I was following to the trailhead failed to name some of the backcountry roads correctly, which caused some minor delays. Chuck Yeager Way must be accessed from Smartville Road. It took a little bit to bit to figure this out, but eventually, I arrived at he junction of Waldo and Spenceville Roads. The shooting range mentioned in the descriptions was the obvious marker.

Reaching the trailhead after a bumpy drive down a pothole infested gravel road, I left the jeep and headed across the bridge over dry creek and down the trail. Talking with a fellow hiker on my return, I learned that this road once served as the main road to Auburn, but in modern times, it is simply a well defined hiking trail.

I've always loved the green and golden hills of California. There is something artistic about the way nature has dropped the occasional blue oak on a plot of land in such a way as to remind the observer of a perfect balance. 


At the 1.2 mile point, the trail leaves the abandoned roadway and heads into the green hills above Dry Creek and just a short distance beyond that, the trail forks with three tines. Having a caught up with a fellow hiker, we discuss the trail and the best option. Jerry, my new friend, is obviously very experienced with these trails and suggests taking the left-most trail, which while slightly longer and starting uphill, he assures me is the best choice.

Jerry politely asks if I would like to share the trail with him the rest of the way to the falls. His unassuming invitation, urges me to accept. Along the way, we discuss our careers, other local hikes, and the falls we are approaching. 


Arriving at the top of the falls, my new friend wishes me well and explains that he is going to take his lunch at a picnic bench above the falls. He describes the path in and around the falls and I use his guidance to find the best shots available. 

After a short time exploring the rock formations overlooking the falls, I head back the way I came. Covering just over 5 miles, this was an very nice hike. It was very easy, but the views were spectacular.

No comments:

Post a Comment