Monday, April 9, 2018

Buffalo Point - Antelope Island (Davis County, Utah)

 

Arriving in Salt Lake City a bit earlier than expected, I decided to check out Antelope Island, which is a large island just off the shoreline of the Great Salt Lake. The area is a state park and home to elk, buffalo, mule deer, and, of course, antelope. 

After driving around the island for a bit, I decide to hike up to Buffalo Point, which is the highest point on a peninsula jutting from the northwest corner of the island. It's a short hike, but fairly steep. As I climb up the hill, I can see for a probably a hundred miles in all directions. Looking out over the large shallow lake I can see mountains in all directions. To the east, Salt Lake City sits below the snow-covered rockies.


I was hoping to see some buffalo (bison actually) from up here, but there are none to be found. I decide to return to the jeep and explore a bit more. Driving to the eastern side of the island, I see several of the great lumbering beasts grazing on the steep grass-covered hillsides. They take little notice of me and knowing their reputation for being ill-tempered, I decide to not push my luck.

Having seen what I came for, I decide to head into the city and get checked in. This hike was only a little over a mile, but it's been a long weekend and it's time for some relaxation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment