Saturday, December 29, 2018

Sagehen Creek (Sierra County, California)

 

Early winter in the Reno area is often problematic when it comes to planning hikes or snowshoes. Often one turns into the other and so it always best to prepare for both on any given trip. Today, I went with the local Sierra Club Meetup group for the first time. I've been a member of the meetup group for a couple of years, but until today, I've never actually hiked with them. I've always been under the impression their hikes are quite a bit tighter and regulated than is my preference, but I decided to finally check one out.

The trip today was along the beautiful Sagehen Creek, which feeds the large Stampede Reservoir. Meeting at IHOP in northwest Reno, the fifteen members of our group carpooled to the trailhead just a few miles north of Truckee. It's about a 30 minute drive, but the time went by pretty fast. 


Once we arrived at the trailhead, we were undecided on how much snow was going to be present. Some hikers strapped on their snowshoes and others, like myself, opted to leave them behind. It turns out I made the correct choice. While there are a few inches of snow along the well worn trail in some areas, it was compressed enough to not require snowshoes. Most of the trail was a combination of snow, slush, and mud, but it was easily manageable with just boots.

The creek itself is a beautiful vein of frigid water and ice flowing through a virgin snowfield. I always find this type of view incredibly gorgeous, especially with the sunbeams reflecting off of the water's surface.


Finally reaching the large body of water that is the reservoir, we took a break and enjoyed some lunch in grassy area along the shoreline. We discussed varied topics from other hikes, to politics, and finally Burning Man. One hiker in particular was extremely interested in my experience, as she became a burner this past year for the first time as well. 

Our conversation continue most of the way back to the cars. Though a few years my senior, she spoke incredibly highly of the experience, just as I do. I think everyone should take in the event at least once in their lifetimes. Finally reaching the cars, my GPS tracking app indicates we hiked about 4.9 miles. It was an extremely easy hike with very little elevation gain, but it was fun to find a new trail and meet some new hikers.

No comments:

Post a Comment