Thursday, January 17, 2019

Haleakala Skyline Trail (Haleakala National Park, Hawaii)


After witnessing the most stunning sunrise of my life at the top of Haleakala, it seemed only fitting to get some hiking in while I'm up here on above the island of Maui. Besides, what better to do when on top of a volcano then stay a while? From the parking lot, I walk up the paved walkway to the summit, which is marked by an glass-enclosed observation deck and a sign indicating the elevation of 10,022 feet above sea level.

From there, I walk down the approach road and past the astronomical observatory, known as "Science City", that was built here to explore the mysteries of our universe. At least three telescope silos are clearly visible, but as this is run by the US Department of Defense, it is off limits to civilians.



The paved road circles around the peak with the telescopes before a side trail splits off to the south at a clearly marked sign indicating the Skyline Trail. From there the wide, well-worn trail becomes a single track through a desolate volcanic landscape with little or no vegetation. All of the Hawaiian islands were created by volcanic activity, but at this elevation, very little plant life has ever really taken root.



As I continue down the trail, I'm startled by a heard of feral goats roaming the wasteland in search of what little vegetation is here. Maui has served as a crossroads for the world for centuries and a number of invasive species have taken over the island, including chickens, domestic cats and goats. As I note a large area of lava flow fenced off, I observe a few odd plants growing inside the fenced area. Later after I return, I learn that the goats have decimated a native plant species called silversword. This fence is a modest attempt at preservation.



In the distance, I have a clear view of two of the other Hawaiian Islands, Lanai and Kahoolawe. I've been a lot of places in my life and seen some amazing things, but this view is unique and unbelievable in my experience. The vastness of the ocean and the remoteness of these islands comes into specific relief from up here. It truly forces one to consider how small we are in this great big world.



A number of cinder cones have formed all around the island as pressure releases for the larger caldera. I make way to the summit of ones just off trail. As I take in the view, a cloud roles in and drops the finest mist I have ever felt on my head. It's not even wet. It's more like a blanket of microscopic ice crystals being pulled over my head.

As turn back the way I came, can't help but think that this volcano must be somewhat like Mt. Fuji near Tokyo, Japan, which I intend to visit sometime in the next couple of years. Seeing a volcano literally rising out of the see is breathtaking.

Arriving back at the rental car, I see that I've covered just about 10.5 miles, which is a pretty good start. This trail itself was not that amazing, but it does offer some amazing views of Hawaii. I can't wait to see what else this week has in store.


No comments:

Post a Comment