Sunday, March 24, 2019

Valley of the Moon (Sonoma County, California)


Waking early in my room at the Jack London Lodge in Glen Ellen, CA, I wanted to get in a few more miles. Before that though, I was obligated to try a croissant from an authentic French bakery just across the street from my hotel. Topped with apple and cherries, it was delicious and just the calorie boost I needed before a short hike.

Just a mile or so down the road another regional park offered the opportunity to do just that. Sonoma Valley Regional Park is a lush hill just south of the village and a particular trail, the Valley of the Moon Trail, seemed to be just what I was looking for. A cold, moist breeze blows through this small valley this morning, but it won't deter me. I make my way down the two-lane highway toward the park. 

Finally, turning onto the trail, I see that this first part is paved. I generally prefer walking on soil, but given the wet nature of the area this morning, pavement may not be a terrible thing. The trial follows along Sonoma Creek as it meanders through a sparsely wooded shallow valley. It's peaceful here and hearing the local birds sing their morning tune is inspiring.


The trail curves around and then eventually turns back on itself and climbs up to the southern ridge. The pavement ends and we are now on moist earth, more to my liking. In the distance, I see a small pond and two deer cautiously approaching through the trees for a morning drink. I love scenes like this and wish I could capture them on film, but they are too far away for any video to turn out well with my equipment. I'll just have to commit it to memory.

The trial climbs to the top of the ridge and then quickly descends back to the starting point. It's only 2.5 miles, but it was a great way to wake up and begin the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment