Sunday, July 7, 2019

Pluto's Cave (Siskiyou County, California)


Staying in the general vicinity of Mount Shasta, my other destination for today's little adventure is a lava tube known as Pluto's Cave. The drive is another hour around the mighty mountain to the northwest side, which is reminiscent of Nevada due to the rain shadow cast by the prominent 14'k behemoth. There is still tons of snow on the mountain and it makes for some majestic scenery. 

After driving a short distance down a sandy road, I arrive at the trail head. According to the map provided, the entrance into the cave is only about a third of a mile beyond. Unfortunately, a maze of trails has been cut through this desert environment and I find myself off the main trail before long. Luckily, it seems they all go to the same place. I am very watchful for rattlesnakes though. It's a warm day and there are a great many rocks and bushes along the way that would make perfect shading spots for these vipers.


Finally arriving at a collapsed section of the lava tube that allows entry, I scramble my way down the volcanic rock and size up the situation. To my left, a very large chamber that appears to be a party spot for locals, as there is some graffiti on the sides of the cave and a fire ring below. To my right, a small section of the tube's roof now forms a natural bridge about forty feet wide, but I can't see from here what lay beyond. I opt to to left first.


This section of the cave is pretty massive, with the ceiling approximately eighty feet above me. After just a few steps, I can see another collapse on the far side of this giant room. It doesn't appear to be navigable in that direction. The foul smell of bat guano permeates through this chamber and I opt not to stay long, though the room is magnificent.

Heading back the other direction and under the bridge, I encounter a mother with her two teenage daughters. They inform me that just beyond the bridge I will find a much deeper section of the lava tube and ask if I brought a light. In fact, I brought three plus my smart phone. I make my way that direction and after climbing over and through a number of dusty rocks, end up at the mouth of the final section of the lava tube. I can tell because the air coming out of there has a chill on it, much colder than the air temperature outside. Making my way in I find more graffiti and lots of dust. The cave floor and the rocks that it's comprised over covered with a thick layer of very fine volcanic dust. As I step, it stirs into the air and chokes me a little bit. I turn my lights on and carefully make my way into to bowels of Hades, all the while expecting to see Persephone and her lord husband bursting out of the darkness. 


As I'm alone and this is a pretty remote area, I decide not to venture to deeply into the cave before turning back. Perhaps I will return another time with friends and explore further into this natural wonder. As there is no GPS coverage inside the caves, it's difficult to know how fare I hiked, but I suspect it was about 1.6 miles in total. Very short, but very cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment