Sunday, September 1, 2019

Sunriver Half-Marathon (Deschutes County, Oregon)


My primary reason for this trip to Bend, OR was to run the Sunriver Half-Marathon. I'm working on a streak of running at least one half-marathon in each month of 2019. While looking for a nearby option for my September installment, I stumbled across this one and knowing that Sunriver is only about twenty miles from Bend, it seemed an outstanding choice. As any craft-beer lover will tell you, Bend (though small in population) is one of the most important cities  in terms of quality brews and craft-beer culture. I'm ecstatic for any excuse to visit some of my favorite breweries in the small Oregon town. As it turns out, my wife also has some friends that live in Bend and so, she joined me for this trip and we spent some time with her friends at a couple of the breweries.

After picking my bib up in Sunriver on Saturday afternoon, we headed on into bend and spent the rest of the day enjoying the beer-culture and the company of my wife's friends. I was trying to watch what I ate and how much I drank, knowing I was going to be running today. We got back to our hotel at a reasonable hour and I proceeded to crash. I'm not sure if it was my anxiousness about the race, the unfamiliar bed, or something I ate, but I woke nearly every hour through the night. When my alarm finally went off at 5:00 AM, I didn't feel as tired as I should have, but I knew I hadn't slept well. I stumbled into the bathroom and began to take care of certain things that need to be addressed before a long race. Afterwards, I packed my stuff and departed for the starting line back in Sunriver.

It's cool this morning. The thermometer in my jeep shows 48 degrees as I check my gear at the Sunriver Resort Lodge, a sponsor of the race, as well as home to the start and finish lines. While a bit brisk standing still, it should be great once we start running. I head into the lodge to use the restroom one more time and then start doing some stretches in the warmth of the structure. Many of the other runners have a similar idea and crowd the lobby and attached lounge. 

As start time approaches, I head outside for the singing of the national anthem and then enter the starting line chute. There appears to be about two hundred runners for the event. Not a bad turn out for a race in the middle of nowhere. I get my headphones on, tie my shoes and then with a verbal countdown and a gas powered horn, we're off.



The first several miles of the race follow the paved trails through a well-groomed golf-course attached to the resort. The course has some minor rolling hills, but is generally pretty flat. As my training has been pretty much non-existent over the last couple of months, I don't have high expectations for myself on this half, but I start out at a pretty good pace. The sun is just starting to rise above the trees of the surrounding pine forest and begins to glisten off of the recently-watered fairways and greens. It's quite beautiful and a great place to run.

After only about three miles, I can feel my left knee starting to ache. At moments, the pain gets pretty intense and I'm forced to walk a lot more than I had hoped. This has been happening far too much as of late and I may need to get this checked out. I realize I'm getting old and starting to fall apart, but I'm not ready to succumb to the ravages of the years just yet. With the pain now coming in waves and forcing me to walk quite a bit, any hopes of a respectable time go out the window. I set my mind to finishing though.

As the course leaves the golf course, it meanders through some wonderful bike trails the community has built through the forest. It really is a quaint and serene setting for a race. All of the other runners are incredibly friendly and several ask if I'm okay when they notice my limping. I thank them for their concern and push on. 

The course takes us over a few waterways and through some neighborhoods before returning to the lodge. As I make the final turn before crossing the finish line, I force myself to run at a good pace. I know my time will be abysmal, but finishing strong is always a morale boost for me. My official time is 2:48:51, which is horrible, but perhaps enough of a motivator for me to start training again and even get this knee examined. For now, I'll numb my pain with a few post-race snacks and a complimentary beer.


No comments:

Post a Comment