Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Lincoln Memorial (Washington D.C.)


Continuing my tour of the National Mall this afternoon, I walk along the Reflecting Pool from the towering Washington Monument toward the somber Lincoln Memorial. A thin layer of ice has formed over the waters of the reflecting pool this morning, but it adds character to my pictures. As I approach the steps of the Greek-styled monument, I can't help but think of Dr. King's speech from these steps some 57 years ago, in which he described his great dream for our nation and for a coming together of the peoples in it. He chose the right spot to speak those words to the masses. For Lincoln was the strength of the abolitionist movement and saw slavery's final defeat in the American Civil War. Dr. King was logical next step and I hope that one day we can realize his dream.


The Lincoln Memorial is dedicated to the memory the sixteenth President of the United States, Abraham Lincoln. From humble roots, Lincoln rose to prominence due to his great oratory ability, his courage, and his recognition of right. Having grown up in southern Illinois, the history around Lincoln, was force-fed to me as a child since this is the state where he made his name. Perhaps his greatest accomplishments were the Emancipation Proclamation, putting an end to the slavery of millions of African Americans, and his steadfastness in holding together our great nation through the Civil War that surrounded the issue. For these acts he is rightfully remembered as one of our country's greatest leaders.


On the southern wall of the open interior of the monument, Lincoln's most famous 271 words are etched. The Gettysburg Address speaks of the great cause and the sacrifices made in support of it. Those words have always touched me, but here in this temple, I don't think anyone could remain unmoved by the power of the speech. As I depart and head for my hotel a few blocks away, my patriotism is renewed.

No comments:

Post a Comment