Saturday, April 25, 2020

Fort Mountain - Stone Wall (Murray County, Georgia)

 

Having abandoned my campsite for the night and deciding to head home, I thought I would try to outrun the storm and make one more stop before returning home. I was supposed to have visited Fort Mountain State Park a few weeks ago with one of the Meetup groups, but the pandemic put a stop to that idea. Fort Mountain is particularly appealing to me because of the historical mystery for which it is named.

*Satellite Photo courtesy of Google Maps - stone wall indicated by yellow line

Driving through the park to the summit parking lot, I begin the short hike to the top of the mountain and to see what I came for. Just below the summit of this small mountain, an unknown historical group built a fortification wall of piled stones. It is thought to be Native American in origin, but no one is really sure and the legendary tales go off in a number of different directions, including being constructed by a 14th century Irish explorer and another that it was built by and to protect a race known as the Moon-eyed People.from the aggressive ancient Cherokee whom they were at war with. As there are were no other archaeological relics found during past excavations, who built the wall and its true purpose remain a mystery. The wall zigzags only a couple of hundred yards, but it is obvious that the hands of man constructed it.


After following the wall, I decide to head to the summit where a small observation tower was built in modern times, but a locked grate prevents visitors from climbing to the top of it. There is, however, a small wooden set of steps and accompanying balcony going part of the way up the outside of the tower. I make way up this wooden scaffolding to get a better look at a snake pointed out to me by a fellow-visitor. The markings on the small snake, which is wrapped around one of the supports and attempting to sun itself on this cool spring day, appear similar to those of a copperhead, but the head appears kind of small. As I'm unsure of the exact species, I keep my distance, but upon returning home, later find that it was most likely an eastern milk snake. Either way, this was a great stop and I'm glad I was able to visit prior to the rains catching up to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment