Saturday, February 5, 2022

Frozen Falls 10k Trail Run (Van Buren County, Tennessee)

I generally don't do write-ups for races shorter than ten miles, but since this was a trail race, it seemed to qualify as a hike. I've been trying to get myself back into racing shape, but my right knee has been causing me fits. Several months ago, I read about the Frozen Falls 10k/Half/50k/50-Miler event at Fall Creek Falls State Park in eastern Tennessee and it caught my interest. I hiked some trails in this park a few years ago while visiting a friend in Nashville, and I recall it being a very scenic place. Even with my knee troubles, I decided to go ahead and give this trail race a try. Hopefully, the softer dirt surface will provide some padding that the pavement I normally run on doesn't. 

I drove up the evening before and stayed at a little bed and breakfast just outside the park called the Cascade Inn. It was a great place. Very comfortable and the people were incredibly friendly. I arrived pretty late and since the race was early, I wanted to get a good night's sleep. I crashed maybe an hour after arriving and awoke bright and early to get myself mentally and physically prepared for the race. The cool morning air was a bone-chilling 18°, and I had to scrape the ice off of the rental car I've been driving since my Jeep accident back in December.


The drive to the park only took about five minutes and I soon arrived at the parking area. I put my gloves on and walked down the hill to check-in and get my bib and shirt. I guess they organized bib numbers alphabetically by last name, which often and in this case, put me as numero uno. With half-an-hour until the start of the 10k, which is my distance today, I decided to head back to my car to enjoy the heat before the race starts. It was a good choice, but finally, with just five or so minutes to spare, I made my way down to the start line. Strangely, there were no guns, buzzers, horns, or anything. At 8:00 AM, people just started running. Maybe this is a trail race thing.

The first section has us on pavement and crossing the dam that retains Fall Creek Falls Lake. Once across the dam, we turn right onto some paved trails, which at these very cold temperatures and with the humidity of this region are covered in a thin sheet of ice. I'm not wearing the best shoes for these conditions and so, I take it especially cautiously to avoid wiping out. Several of the other runners are not so lucky and fall flat on their asses. When appropriate, I stop to check on them and help them back on their feet. To my knowledge no one injured anything more than their pride. 

Soon the trail departs the pavement and approaches the overlook for the main attraction, Fall Creek Falls, which is a beautiful waterfall and one of the tallest free-falling east of the Mississippi. I stop to take a couple of pictures before heading back onto the trail, which has now switched to a combination of earth and stone. Luckily, most of the stones are dry. I can certainly see someone breaking a leg or something if their had been ice on these rocks.

The route today takes us along something of a curvy lollipop. Other than this first section and one other, it's almost entirely dirt and stone. There are a few creek crossings along the way. Some have well-constructed, but ice-covered bridges across them, while other smaller streams require a short hop across to avoid getting wet.


Reaching the next big highlight of the trail and race, I approach Cane Creek Falls, which is broader, but not nearly as tall as the previous waterfall. The race route takes us across an icy suspension bridge that spans the wide Cane Creek mere meters before it plummets over the waterfall. The surface of the bridge is very slick and while, I'm generally not afraid of heights, this stretch is a little unnerving. The combination of frigid waters racing below, the slick surface of the floor of the bridge, and the general construction of the bridge give me pause and I very carefully make my way across. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the bridge is perfectly secure, but if you have ever traversed one of these bridges, you will know what I mean. They sway with the weight on them and given the thin mesh that acts as something of a net, I think they make most people a little nervous. 


From here, the trail heads deeper into the woods with more creek crossings and a few uphills. There are also few sections of steep climbs over stepping stones and roots. With the morning dew having turned to frost under these very cold conditions, it's quite beautiful and though, I'm running most of the race, I do have to stop periodically for a picture here and there.

Completing the lollipop, I return and have to recross the suspension bridge once again. I take it carefully just like last time and get across without incident. It's pretty much smooth sailing from here, most of the ice that had covered the pavement earlier has melted away with the rising sun, though I still take each step carefully. I do slip a couple of times, but manage to catch myself before actually falling. 

Finally, I reach the finish line and run through the inflatable arch to collect my finisher's medal. The organizers have an outdoor kitchen set up here and I grab a bacon cheeseburger hot off the grill. They also offer hot dogs and cheese quesadillas, but the burger suits me pretty well. Since I don't generally run trail races and even less frequently on ice, I really didn't know what kind of time to expect of myself. I finished in 1:55:38, which seems really slow, but I also note that I tracked right at 7 miles instead of the expected 6.2. I know I took a couple of wrong turns and stepped off a couple of times for pictures, but I don't think that would have accounted for the added distance. Anyway, I'll settle for that time and walking away without any broken bones from falling on the ice. My knee wasn't an issue at all, which was a nice change of pace. Overall, this was an outstandingly beautiful course and I really, really enjoyed it.

2 comments: