Friday, June 3, 2022

Parliament, Trafalgar Square and Buckingham Palace (Greater London County, United Kingdom)

 Having completed the epic hike of Hadrian's Wall over the last several days and arriving back in London by train a couple of hours ago, I find myself wanting to explore some of the well known sites of this great city and capital of the United Kingdom. After getting a bite of food from the hotel restaurant, I catch an Uber to drive me the three or so miles to Parliament Square. Normally, I might have just walked, but my feet are very tired after having hiked some 115 miles over the last week.

The driver drops me as close to Big Ben as he is legally allowed to, which still leaves me a bit of walking to do. Today is Queen Elizabeth II's Platinum Jubilee and the entire city, country, and commonwealth are celebrating. Many streets are blocked off to help with traffic flow. There are tons of people about visiting the same sites that I am and taking picture after picture. I walk across a bridge over the Thames to get a good angle on Parliament and Big Ben, but I can't help but think of Chevy Chase's character in the Vacation movie repeatedly calling his kids attention to these landmarks as they circle a round about multiple times.

From Parliament, I walk a few blocks to Trafalgar Square, which is another well known landmark. Here too the crowds are out in force waving the UK's Union Jack for all to see. The traffic flow and general topology of the area don't give me any angles for a good picture of the square, but I do the best I can.

Finally, I decide to attempt to visit Buckingham Palace. Perhaps her majesty would enjoy an impromptu visit, but the "Bobbies" (British Police) seem to have other ideas as they are carefully guarding any entrance from the crowds. The Mall is lined with gigantic Union Jack Flags along it's entire length and thousands of people have gathered here. Again, I'm not able to get close enough for a great picture, but I do the best I can.

Afterwards a walk part way and then eventually catch another Uber back to my hotel. I wish I had more time to explore London, but I'm grateful for the little time that I have had and will treasure this little tour of these well known landmarks.

No comments:

Post a Comment