Sunday, January 8, 2023

Sope Creek (Cobb County, Georgia)

 

Originally, I had planned to hike with one of the Meetup groups today and explore Sope Creek. The sign-up list grew very large and the group decided to move the event to a different unit of the Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area due to parking concerns. Totally understandable, but I was looking forward to revisiting Sope Creek and so, I decided to just hike it on my own. 

I arrived at the parking area just before 9:00 AM and quickly hit the trail system, which is fairly extensive through this as well as the other units of the NPS recreation area. I first headed for the old Marietta Paper Mill ruins. I find the ruins of old buildings quite fascinating. I've visited and hiked here before, but it's been a couple of years and as I want to get some miles in today before the forecasted rains come in, this seemed like a good location.

After only about half-a-mile, I reach the ruins of the Civil War-era paper mill, which sits alongside Sope Creek and used the flowing waters of the creek as a power source during it's operation. I'm able to climb around through the ruins quite a bit, but I'm careful to not damage anything. I enjoy trying to put myself in another time and imagining this factory during it's operational period. I'm guessing it was pretty remote and without the current roadways and hustle and bustle, must have been quite a site sit here in the woods along this pretty little creek.


From there, I head across the bridge and down the trail running parallel to the creek to another site I had noticed on the map. "Cross Creek Mill Ruins" was just mysterious enough that I wanted to check it out. After a short distance, I reach another set large buildings in ruin. I've not visited this area before, but the site is pretty extensive. I believe there are about four large structures here, but it's difficult to know for sure from what I see in front of me. All that remains are portions of the walls. The southernmost is build right up against a tributary creek feeding into Sope Creek, which has washed a deep gorge into the hillside. Without doing some climbing, I won't be able to go any further and so, I turn around and head back the way I came. 

I pass by the paper mill once more and then head up hill and into the forest. The trail is wall maintained and the park service has posted a map at just about every trail junction to help visitors navigate the network. Along the way, I encounter a few other hikers, trail runners, and mountain bikers. Everyone is friendly and likely out doing exactly what I'm doing - getting some exercise before the coming storm.

I wind my way around the park trying to maximize the mileage I get, but without connecting to another unit of the park, I don't think I'll be able to get in that many miles today. That's fine - perhaps it's enough to just enjoy the fresh air and scenery. As I get near the parking lot, I pass a gentleman who mentions that a few deer are to the left of the trail just ahead of me. As I approach, a couple of them dart away, but several remain. They stare at me trying to determine whether or not I'm a threat to them. Beautiful creatures. 

Getting back to my car, I check to see that I've only covered about 4.9 miles today, but there is rain moving in soon and it won't be bad to have more time to do other things today. Sope Creek was an interesting tour of history and a great escape on a Sunday morning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment