Saturday, May 20, 2023

Tahoe East Shore (Washoe County, Nevada)

 

I've made a quick trip to my former home in Reno, NV this weekend to visit friends. While here I decided to get a short hike in. After a terrific breakfast with my friend, Nick, I headed up to nearby Lake Tahoe, which is only a twenty minute or so drive from Reno. My plan is to hike the recently constructed Tahoe East Shore Trail and possibly up to the Monkeys Head, which is a spur off of this trail.

After find a parking spot and paying the fee, I head out along the paved walkway. There are quite a few people up here enjoying the day and getting some exercise, but the path is wide and can easily accommodate these numbers. As I approach the area where Monkeys Head Trail breaks away, I note a sign that indicates a fee is required for this section. A little disheartened by this, I decide to just continue along the Tahoe East Shore.

This is really more of a walk than a hike given the paved path. Walkers, runners, and bikers seem to be enjoying the undulating walkway as it climbs above the cars driving highway 28. From here, we are afforded some fantastic views of the lake. I've always believed this is the best time of year to visit Lake Tahoe. The contrast between the snow-covered mountain peaks, the emerging greens of the pines, and the deeply rich blues of the water just does something magical for the eyes. 

As I turn around and start heading back towards my rental car, I catch of hint of the pine forest aroma. I really miss this place. When it's all said and done back at the car, my tracking app indicates that I've only walked about 2.2 miles. Not really much of a hike, but getting up here to remember the sites and smells of my former home makes it all worthwhile. I wish I could do more, but I have plans with friends and need to get back down to Reno.

No comments:

Post a Comment