Saturday, July 15, 2023

Freeman's Mill (Gwinnett County, Georgia)

 

I'm just out running errands this afternoon, but decided to check out a local park that has been on my radar for a few weeks. Freeman's Mill is a retired and restored grist mill that has been turned into a county park. As I understand it, the site was built just after the Civil War and was in operation until the early 1980's. Since then, the county has acquired the land and decided to turn it into a history lesson and recreational area. 

The parking area had a few cars, but parking was not an issue on this very hot and humid Saturday afternoon. I'm probably an idiot for wanting to walk around this place in the heat, but I was in the general area and it only made sense to check it out. From my car, I walked a short distance down the paved walkway to the grist mill building. A number of educational panels had exhibits have been set up in and around the old building. On the backside and closer to tiny stream known as the Alcovy River, the gigantic water wheel has been preserved. Though somewhat rusty and no longer spinning, the wheel stands roughly twenty-five feet tall. The river is a just a few yards away and after examining the area, I realized they had at one time built a damn on the river and an aqueduct to flow rushing water over the wheel to generate power and then back to the river below. Much of the aqueduct has been destroyed, but it's still fairly obvious how the mill ran.

Before leaving, I walk a short distance along the river and up to the dam, which still has water flowing over it. A couple of large trees have been washed down the creek and are now resting at the precipice of the water flowing over the short wall. It's pleasant here, though incredibly hot today. I can see this being a nice little community park, but there's not a lot of hiking or anything else here to do. I'm still glad I got a chance to visit though.

No comments:

Post a Comment