Sunday, June 18, 2017

Crystal Peak 4x4 Adventure (Lassen County, California)

 

Some time ago, I read about a small peak overlooking Frenchman Lake, which is north of Reno. The peak is reportedly crowned with a solid crystal block. Several months ago, I attempted to find the jeep trail to the top, but ended up in deep in the forest with the 'road' passing between trees two narrow for my jeep to traverse. I gave up that day, but vowed to return and find the correct path. 

After further research, I was convinced I had found the proper jeep trail up the mountain and decided to give it another try. As I'm not a super-experience off-roader, I wasn't sure if it would be all driving, all hiking, or some combination of the two, but I was determined to see this wonder.

After leaving Frazier Falls and heading back towards Reno, I took the turn towards Frenchman Lake and then proceeded to what I believed was the proper trail. As I started down the rough dirt road, I passed by the turn I had made last time and passed it by with a smile on my face. Continuing on, I encounter a jeep and truck coming the opposite way as they pass through some trees off the main trail. As I'm looking into a deep, muddy pool with deep, deep tire ruts coming out of the other side, the folks mention to me that it is far deeper than it looks. Taking their advice, I decide to bypass the deep pool and take the jeep through the trees. 

A short distance further, I come to a fork in the middle of the forest and take a sharp left, following the sign and my directions to my destination, Crystal Peak. The trail is mostly dry as it hugs the mountain side. In the distance, I can see the lake below and wonder how far I will be able to take the jeep. So far though, the road has been pretty easy.


After about four miles, things get more challenging. I'm forced to climb the jeep up steep inclines over a number of large boulders embedded in the road. Mud puddles, boulder-crawling, sharp blind turns, and tree branches smacking the side of the jeep are the norm as I traverse the final two miles to the peak. It's rough going and pushes my 4x4 driving experience to its limits, but I have to admit that I'm really enjoying seeing just what this beautiful machine of mine is capable of.

The final push to the peak is a muddy mess of a steep uphill followed by a sharp turn, avoiding boulders and fallen trees all along the way. Finally though, I reach the top and there is no doubt that I have arrived. I park the jeep below a tall pine tree and walk to the white crystalline peak. A lone pine tree grows right out of the solid crystal slab and is home to a number of birds and insects. As I climb up the flaked crystal to the very top, I scare a number of these creatures from their home. Seeing all of the crystal here is quite amazing. While I've seen a lot of this material in the past at various sites, seeing an entire mountaintop made of it, is something else entirely.


Having accomplished my goal and taken the jeep the entire way to the top, I head back down the road. Easy as I can, I slowly crawl down the hills and over the boulders I had climbed on the way up. It was a great experience and I'm glad to have finally crossed this one off of my list. Chalk this one up to "Reason I Love my Jeep #4568".


No comments:

Post a Comment