Sunday, June 18, 2017

Frazier Falls (Plumas County, California)


During the winter of 2015-2016, I joined a new meetup group and on the day after New Years Day, we snowshoed to a waterfall I was unfamiliar with near Graeagle, California. It was a 10-ish mile trek to see the frozen waterfall, but it was definitely worth it. Even in winter, the waterfall was majestic. 

For a while now, I have been thinking about returning to see the waterfall in spring. With this past winter having had more snowfall and precipitation than any year on record for much of the northern Sierra Nevada, I couldn't let a chance to see this waterfall flowing at maximum escape me. While my legs are tired from running the half-marathon yesterday, I knew the hike was very short and extremely easy.


Since the waterfall is only about a 75-minute drive from Reno, I didn't leave exceptionally early. I arrived at the trail head at about 11:30 and found the parking lot at the trailhead nearly full. Apparently, a number of other people had similar ideas. The trail is paved all of the way to the overlook. I didn't actually realize this since during my last trip, there was a couple of feet of snow over the trail. I pass several people along the short half-mile path to the falls overlook. Both the young and old enjoy visiting such a scenic place and they are out in force today.


As I arrive at the overlook, I see exactly what I expected. Frazier Falls is alive with activity as thousands of gallons of water flow over the rocky volcanic outcropping to fall 200-ish feet to the creek below. I speak with several nice people at the overlook, as we collectively take in the amazing view.

After a short time, I decide to head back to the jeep. The hike was only a bit over a mile, but that's probably a good thing given the fatigue I feel in my legs this morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment