Saturday, February 23, 2019

Fossil Ridge Loop (Clark County, Nevada)


After running the Red Rock Canyon Half-Marathon this morning, I still had some energy and decided to return to the area after a quick shower in order to hike a trail that came to my attention a year or so ago. I found the Fossil Ridge Loop Trail while searching for places to hike while on a trip to Las Vegas last year. The trail head is just past the entrance to Red Rock Canyon and near a horseback riding tour company.

I park the jeep and quickly make for the ridge. It's muddy. Southern Nevada recently got some snow, which has had the effect of saturating the ground. It's really a muddy mess here, but truly beautiful. In the distance, Red Rock Canyon's red and orange hues paint the western horizon. To the South, a slot canyon is filled with white snow and I, here on the edge of that canyon, do my best to find a balance between sinking in quick-sand like mud, falling into the canyon, and not damaging the landscape around me.


The flora here is quite interesting. A number of different desert dwellers are well-represented. Joshua trees, century plants, cacti, and a number of other interesting inhabitants carpet the area on either side of the well-worn trail. And now, since the snow, much of these plants are covered with a thin blanket of pure white snow.

As I continue up the ridge, I occasionally find an even thicker patch of mud and after sinking and sliding through it, I do my best to clear it from my feet by walking in the snow. It works . . . somewhat, but even though the landscape is amazingly gorgeous, I must admit a sense of frustration with all of this mud.


Having read a number of comments about this trail, I have been on the lookout for fossils along the way. According to what I have read, there are a number of fossilized clams and clam imprints in this area, from eons past when this land was under water. I find a few, but I'm only able to get good shots of a couple. Focusing on the small specimen proves problematic for my camera.


The trail climbs steadily for a couple of miles and as I pass by a couple of small caves in the rocks, I'm become aware of the likelihood of coyotes and even cougars in this area. I even find a few tracks. The caves have been and will undoubtedly continue to be home to many of the desert denizens. I'll keep my guard up, as there is no one nearby and I would make an easy target out here all by myself.

Finally reaching the top of the ridge, the trail does a near 180 degree turn and heads back on the western side of the ridge. The trail is even muddier here and I'm getting very frustrated. With every single step, I sink an an inch or two into the muck. And with two more miles to get back to my jeep, I'm almost regretting my decision to hike this area today, but at this point, there is no other option than to return.


At one point, I see a pair of wild burros just down the hill from me. That watch me with trepidation as I pass. If only they knew, I haven't actually eaten meat in over three years and have no intention of leaving my vegetarian diet any time soon. Still, they are beautiful animals. They are beautiful in their force of will. The will to survive in this harsh landscape is something to be admired.

I march on and encounter a few mountain-bikers. I don't envy their endeavors in this soft, muddy mess. As the trail-head finally comes into view, I see another group of about five burros in the distance. Again, they go on high alert unsure of my intentions. Soon, I drop below the ridge on which they stand and return to my jeep. I've covered about 4.4 miles on this trail. It was a muddy mess, but I'm glad I got it done and oh yea, the scenery was quite spectacular.

No comments:

Post a Comment