Sunday, February 24, 2019

Lost Creek Falls - Red Rock Canyon (Clark County, Nevada)


I had hoped to do this short hike immediately after running the half-marathon in Red Rock Canyon yesterday, but time constraints got in the way and I was forced to return this morning. Luckily, my hotel is nearby. The scenic drive around Red Rock Canyon is always spectacular, but with my destination in mind and having run much of this road yesterday, I was focused on my destination, Lost Creek Falls.



Snow still covers much of the canyon and although the trailhead itself, is clear, the trail would not be. The short route leads from a small parking area into one of the canyons feeding the larger Red Rock Canyon. The trail is well cut and leaves little doubt of the path. As I approach a small bridge over the creek, I encounter a family returning from the falls. A young boy, accompanied by his mother and father, warns me of ice ahead. I thank him for his concern and wish the family well as they return to the parking area.

After crossing the bridge, the trail is a sheet of ice from here to the falls. Luckily, it's not far, but I do have to carefully watch each step. Once I finally reach the falls, I'm sure I made the right choice in braving the trail to get here. From forty feet above, a series of icicles hang and a mist of a waterfall departs the cliff-side to join with frozen pool here at my level. It's quite a stunning view. The return to my jeep is uneventful and the hike took me about 0.8 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment