Sunday, June 6, 2021

Winding Stairs Cascade (Macon County, Tennessee)


For the next stop on our drive home from Kentucky, we decided to stop and eat some lunch at a new park near Lafayette, TN. The road leading to he parking area doesn't even appear on Google Maps yet. After a quick bite to eat under a well-constructed pavilion, I decide to explore the main trail, which leads down a number of steps and into the small lush canyon cut by small tributary creek. As it has been sprinkling rain all day long, the wooden steps are slick and covered with mud in some places. The stairs wind around the contours of the canyon and lead down towards the cascading creek.

As I descend towards the creek, I'm thankful for the strategically placed railing, as it prevents me from falling on the slick surface in a couple of places. Reaching the bottom of the stairs, I'm presented with a small wonder of nature. The lush greenery of the sloping canyon walls hide a gorgeous limestone formation that has been carved by the creek into a multi-level cascade. The waterfalls continue further down the creek and out of sight. While it's certainly not the biggest cascade I've seen, it is a nice feature to see on this long road trip.

While I could continue hiking the rest of the trail, I think I've seen the primary feature and with my mother waiting at the jeep, I don't want to be gone for too long. I head back and we continue along our journey home.

No comments:

Post a Comment