Saturday, November 13, 2021

Resaca Battlefield (Gordon County, Georgia)

 My second stop brings me to the Resaca Battlefield just a bit further north along I-75 in northern Georgia. This area was the site of a bloody civil war battle during the Union's Atlanta Campaign. The battle was waged between May 13th and 15th, 1864 and resulted in a Confederate defeat and a combined 6,100 casualties.

Though the battlefield has been preserved and seems to be well maintained, little remains from that time. Several historical plaques provide details of the battle and the different troop movements throughout. Several longer walking paths provide a full tour of the area, but unfortunately, I don't have enough time to explore much of them today. For now, I will have to settle for taking in the landscape from a high point and simply imagining the horrors that were unleashed during those terrible three days.

No comments:

Post a Comment