Saturday, November 13, 2021

Lula Lake Landtrust - Hike Bike Brew (Walker County, Georgia)

 

The highlight of my travels today takes me to the Lula Lake Land Trust on Lookout Mountain for the annual Hike Bike Brew fundraiser. I had hoped to attend this event last year, but it was cancelled due to the pandemic. Luckily, the organizers decided to move forward with it this year and that allows me to enjoy two of my favorite things, hiking and beer, into a single event.

Arriving shortly after the event's start, but well before the check-in cut-off time, I'm directed to a parking spot atop a tall hill. Good thing I drive a big jeep. As I walk down to the starting point, I'm happy to see the way things are set up. As I provide my name to the organizers for check-in, I'm provided with a silicon cup which will be home to several beers over the next couple of hours. Here at the start I see two food service tents and a stage being set up for a little later this afternoon and more importantly, two brewery tents ready to provide me with my first tastes.


Taking a few minutes to enjoy a couple of beers here at the start, I eventually start down the trail. Today's trail is a only a little over three miles and mostly follows the gravel road through the land trust, though one section will take us up to the bluff area. All along the way and spaced fairly evenly, breweries from the greater Chattanooga area have set up tents and will provide samples of their offerings. It's similar to any other beer festival I have attended (and I've attended a lot of them), but the hiking element is unique and much to my liking.

There are quite a few people here today and while I must wait in short lines at some of the brewery tents, it's not bad at all. I also appreciate that the beers available run the gamut of styles. Offered styles include everything from saisons to IPAs to stouts, and even a summer shandy. As something of a beer connoisseur (I am a certified Cicerone after all), I can't help but judge the quality of the beers as make way along the trail. Most are pretty good. There are a couple of stand outs and a couple that probably shouldn't have been served, but overall it's a pretty good field of options.


After crossing the creek over Rock Creek, the trail splits to provide something of a lollipop configuration. I head up the steep hill towards the bluff area. Once at the top, I'm treated to more tasters and a magnificent view the Chattanooga Valley. The late fall colors are in full affect as I gaze upon the distant rolling hills with a tasty brew in my hand. If this were heaven, I wouldn't be complaining. It's pretty amazing to be up here on such a beautiful day.


Continuing on, I hit more beer tent and enjoy some conversation with other hikers as we make our way back down the bluff trail and toward the famous Lula Falls. While the main trail itself only offers a view of the top of the falls from a distance, another trail has been hewn out of the hillside with wooden and stone steps leading down a steep path to the bottom of the falls. Of course, I have to go down there. Even though I have visited this place before, it doesn't diminish the shock and awe of such a site. Perhaps the several beers I've already had make it even more spectacular. As I and a few others make our way back up the steps after taking in the view for a few minutes, I comment about what a great idea it is to climb this somewhat hazardous path while enjoying a nice alcohol-induced buzz. Luckily, everyone seems to make it to the top safely.


The next two beer tents are set up side-by-side just above Lula Lake itself. The "lake" is actually just the pool at the bottom of another waterfall along Rock Creek. This second waterfall is significantly smaller than Lula Falls, but it does create a large pool that gives this area it's name. From here, I return back to the starting area.

Though I've been trying to pace myself as I've hiked the path, I do realize that I probably shouldn't be driving just yet and so, I take some time at the event starting area to enjoy some of the provided food, which includes a slice of pizza and a hot dog. I'm able to chat with some of my fellow hikers and beer lovers while we listen to a bluegrass band play from the back of a flat bed truck. It's very pleasant. I also check in to see just how far I hiked and see that it was about 3.7 miles. After about forty-five minutes, I feel that my buzz has dissipated and that it's safe for me to drive home. I head up the steep hill and climb into my jeep for the long ride home. This was a fantastic event and I'm very glad I was able to participate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment