Saturday, January 15, 2022

Chilly Willy Half-Marathon (Gwinnett County, Georgia)

 

It's cold and I could be in much better running shape, but I had signed up for the Chilly Willy Half-Marathon in nearby Sugar Hill, GA a couple of months ago and I'm going to see it through. It's only a twenty or so minute drive from my house and I arrive in plenty of time to check-in and pick up my bib. As cold as it this morning though, I retreat to my the rental car I'm currently driving to enjoy the heat for as long as possible. I say it's cold, but I think living in Georgia the past couple of years has spoiled me. It's really like 35 degrees outside, which isn't that terribly cold. I've just gotten weak.

A couple minutes before the scheduled start time I leave the warmth of the car and head up to the starting line. It appears to be a pretty popular race, with maybe 400-500 runners braving these temperatures. Though this is the combined started for the 5k, 10k, and Half-Marathon.

With buzzer, we're off and while my hands remain cold most of the run, the rest of my body starts heating up as I start moving. The course takes us through downtown Sugar Hill and then along Peachtree Industrial Blvd before entering and doing some trails through E.E. Robinson Park only to return to Peachtree for the turnaround. The 5k turns back before entering the park, the 10k does a single traverse of the race course and me and the other half-marathoners will do the 10k course twice with a few yards tacked on near the turn around to make the up the difference between 12.4 miles and 13.1 miles. 

By the time I almost make it back to the start for the first time, my knee is already throbbing a little bit and I consider throwing in the towel and just quitting here. I'm wearing my compression braces on my knees, which usually help, but not as much today. I'm not sure if it's the cold weather or just the fact that I haven't been running as regularly as I need to be, but regardless, I decide to push and finish the half.

At about the time I enter the park entrance for the second time, I start regretting my decision. My knee is really starting to bother me and I'm forced to walk most of the uphill and downhill sections or face fairly excruciating pain from my right knee. As I make my way through the park and to the turn-around for the second time, I try to run short sections, but normally have to go back to walking pretty quickly.

It's pretty disappointing to cross the finish line with unofficial 2:53:43, but considering how much my knee is hurting right now, I don't give it much thought. I make my way back to my car and relax for a few minutes. I'm proud of myself for fighting through the pain and completing the half-marathon, but I have to reconsider any long races in my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment