Friday, January 7, 2022

Rainbow Springs (Marion County, Florida)

 

My next stop takes me to Rainbow Springs, a natural wonder that feeds up to 600 million gallons of crystal clear fresh water per day to form the Rainbow River. The site is also a popular state park and takes advantage of numerous facilities that were constructed the area was the site of a privately owned resort in the 1930's. The resort closed in 1974 and several years later the community rallied around the idea of turning into a state park.


The remnants of the resort are present all long the trails. Man-made waterfalls are around most turns. Some have water running across, while others remain dry. The highlight is the spring itself, which surfaces from numerous vents all around the area and provides for an abundant ecosystem. The waters are very clear in most areas and reflect the brilliant blues of the sky above. While I don't see any on this visit, I'm told that alligators, turtles and a variety of bird life call this place home. 

It was a nice stroll, but again, I must be on my way. I expect I will see much more of these clear waters and the wildlife they support from my kayak over the next couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment