Saturday, April 30, 2022

Childrens Forest Trail (Humboldt County, California)

 

While my road trip with my friend, Nick, was now over, my vacation was not and after spending a couple of days visiting with other friends in Reno, my friend, Miranda, and I headed to Redwood Country. There is a half-marathon that we are both interested in tomorrow and since she has never had the chance to spend much time with the redwoods, it seemed a good time to get in a few hikes among the giants. 

I did some research and picked out a couple of short trails that were along our route. The first was the Children's Forest Trail, which from the pictures available on alltrails.com seemed like an excellent choice. We parked her jeep and headed down the trail, which had us arriving at the Eel River just few moments later. The trail has us following the river bank for perhaps a quarter of a mile and then crossing the river over a bridge and exploring the giant redwoods on the other side. One major problem though . . . no bridge. I'm not sure if it was washed out or what happened to it, but it left us no way to safely cross the rapidly moving river and not wanting either of us to be swept away, we decided to abandon the hike. It's disappointing, but hopefully, the next one I chose will be a better.

No comments:

Post a Comment