Tuesday, April 26, 2022

Green River Trail - Dinosaur National Monument (Uintah County, Utah)

 

Another day, another adventure in the wilds of Utah with my friend, Nick. Today, we start our journey by exploring Dinosaur National Monument, which we have each been to before. We spend a little time in the Quarry Exhibit Hall, which I detailed in a write-up of my last trip. For Nick though, this building was being constructed when he last visited and so, he's fascinated by the actual fossils protruding out of the giant quarry wall. Rightfully so, it's an awe-inspiring visual.

After we get done with the fossils, I suggest we get a few hiking miles in to stretch our legs. We head further into the park and stop at the Green River Campground. There is a trail that runs alongside and above the river here and leads to another campground, Split Mountain, a little ways to the north. It seems like a good place to stretch our legs. As we get going, Nick becomes a little disillusioned with trail as there is nothing more to enjoy than some gorgeous scenery. He decides to turn back, but tells me to go ahead. All good - I can move quite a bit faster by myself and really get the blood pumping a bit. 

The views overlooking the river are quite beautiful and I have to stop a couple of times just to breathe in the vistas. After a short time, I make it to the other campground and turn back the way I came. I make really good time and get back to the car just a moment or two after Nick had gotten there. I was moving pretty fast. It was only a 2.5 mile hike, but it was worth it to get some more fresh air and see this gorgeous valley.

No comments:

Post a Comment