Saturday, June 18, 2022

Cherohala Skyway (Monroe County, Tennessee and Graham County, North Carolina)


I'm on my way to Great Smoky Mountain National Park for the weekend and deciding to make the most of the three or so hour drive, I decided to explore the Cherohala Skyway, which runs from Tellico Plains, Tennessee to Robbinsville, North Carolina. Unlike most of my hikes, this is simply a scenic drive along a high ridge in the southern Appalachians. It's similar in both purpose and setting to the more famous Blue Ridge Highway to the northeast. 

I stopped into the very nice visitor center at the western end of the skyway at Tellico Plains to use the restroom and to get a map. Not that a map is necessary, as there is only one way to go and it is well marked from what I can tell, but I thought the map might provide some insight into some of the better stops along the way. The skyway begins almost immediately east of the visitor's center and begins to climb up to the high ridge. 


The route along the skyway has number of hiking trailheads, but as I have some hikes planned within the national park, I opt to simply enjoy the drive. I do pull over a few times to take in the amazing views. All along the way, there are large pull-outs built and retaining walls offering visitors a glimpse of the sea of green that rolls out before them to the north and east. This is really the start of the Smoky Mountains and the mists that give them their name are visible from even here. Searching for the horizon, one must first make eye contact with layer after layer of mount ridges, each one slightly changing color within a palate of greens and blues, until finally the eye gets lost at the meeting point between distant ridge and blue sky. 

When I finally reach what I believe to be the end of the skyway, I search for a sign, but fail to find one. Looking at the map, it seems the route continues on another ten miles or so, but as I drive through rural residential areas, I question whether or not this is truly part of the path and upon my return, I see that the extra ten miles is not official part of the route. That said, it was a wonderful drive and afforded me a chance to breath in some fresh mountain air, which I have been missing. My GPS track includes the additional ten or so miles on the eastern end of the path, which is official 43 miles long. My track had me at 57.2, but we'll rack that up to missing signage. Still if you are ever in the area, the Cherohala Skyway is a nice diversion.

No comments:

Post a Comment