Saturday, September 17, 2022

Double Arch Trail (Powell County, Kentucky)


My plan for my next hike in the Red River Gorge area of Eastern Kentucky was to visit Star Gap Arch, which seems a really cool name. My plans changed a bit though and I ended up on the trail to Double Arch to the north of Star Gap Arch. After arriving in the parking area, I headed out on the well maintained gravel road. There are quite a few other hikers on this trail, but nothing overwhelming.

As I wander along the path, I take note of the carpet of poison ivy on either side of the road. I've had my battles with this treacherous plant since moving to this part of the country and have no desire to fight today. I do my best to avoid it. The road continues on around a curve and eventually, I begin to question my location. A quick check of the map indicates that I'm off of my planned route. No sooner do I notice this than I see a couple of hikers pop out from behind the tree line on a side trail. I ask where they are coming from and they inform me that they are returning from Double Arch. I thank them. Apparently, I missed a side trail further back that would have led me to my original destination, but since I'm here now, I decide to continue on to see Double Arch.

This will end up being the longest trail on my trip, but it's still pretty tame in terms of total miles. At one point, I'm presented with a sturdy wooden staircase to traverse down through a series of sandstone boulders while descending roughly thirty feet. It's easy enough, but it's always interesting to me to see these constructions so far out in the back country.

Soon, the trail begins to parallel a large sandstone cliff and I hear voices above me. I look up to see an arch through the tops of the trees. I don't really have a good view and the trail continues forward, leading me to believe it may take me to a better location for pictures. The trail quickly curls around to the other side of the cliff, which is actually more of a rock finger now that I have a better sense of it. It also leads up a series of switchbacks to deposit me right under the Double Arch. 

The arch itself is not as impressive as the previous one I visited, Gray's Arch, but it is unique in the fact that it has two crossbeams instead of the standard single, thus giving it the name Double Arch. What is impressive though is the view through the arch. Apparently, this sandstone finger was once a section of the cliff wall of the gorge and from here, I can see the opposing wall. It reminds me of Cloudland Canyon in Northern Georgia.

It's a great view, but late afternoon is settling in now and I still have another hike to get in before I call it a day. This one put another 4.7 miles on my trip odometer for the day, but it was definitely worth it for the view.

No comments:

Post a Comment